Identification: fuzzy teardrop leaves, 5 petal red flowers

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Rubenette, May 28, 2013.

1. Rubenette

Rubenette New Member

I'm hoping this will be an easy one for you all. I tried searching some plant encyclopedias to no avail. This is one of my mom's houseplants, but she passed 3 years ago so I cannot ask what it is.

It seems to be some type of vine as you can see from the full picture. It really needs repotting but I fear the shock might kill it. I want to try to get some clippings first to start babies. It has small, red, 5 petaled flowers. (only sometimes but I haven't paid attention to what time of year, it currently has some) The leaves are slightly fuzzy and very shiny (a little waxy). They are a teardrop shape with small serrations along the edges. I included a US penny and 1 cent (I think?) Euro to help with size.

I'm mainly looking for a name so I can do further research, but any tips on getting cuttings would be welcome as well. Thank you in advance, this forum is really amazing from what I've seen so far! :)

Rubenette

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Episcia hybrid of some sort. They're commonly called Flame Violets.

3. Rubenette

Rubenette New Member

Wonderful, thank you so much! :)

Rubenette