Can 80 Year old Maple Tree Be Saved

Discussion in 'Maples' started by CityTreeOwner16, May 23, 2013.

1. CityTreeOwner16

CityTreeOwner16 New Member

Hi Everyone:

I have a heavy heart today as I believe my beautiful maple tree is diseased. It provides tremendous shade to my home and even has a deck built around it. Do you all think its a wrap for the tree or can it be saved? I hope its the latter :-(

Attached Files:

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi,

You need to get a local tree surgeon to evaluate it. If the problem isn't structural on the main stem, it can probably be saved, at least for a while. But this is a case where an expert on the ground is worth 10 in the cloud. Sorry to hear about your tree.

3. pat bateman

pat bateman Member

You should probably make your house insurers aware of the issue too. They may insist that it comes down or amend your policy so that they exclude cover for damage to your property caused by the tree.

4. MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc Active Member

I can not quite decide where on the tree the damage is but it looks serious.

Don't fool around with your life or your family's. Plant TWO new trees if you like to make nature better off. Unless that damage is out on a branch leaning away from your home, I dunno. It is time to get the ol boy inspected professionally.

5. MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc Active Member

I can relate btw. The previous owners put three large white ash too close to the house. Too much overhang. As soon as water started getting in the trunks each had to go :(