British Columbia: where can i buy Cow or Chicken Manures and organic fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by a2008, Jun 25, 2012.

1. a2008

a2008 Member

Hi members!

I'm looking up for cow or any animal manures (Rabbit manure is excellent) but i couldn't find ! do you know where i can find some organic fertilizer or manures in vancouver (coquitlam) ?!

I want those for home garden !As you know organic fertilizer is better than inorganic one ! But i think Chicken manures is pretty acrid , Should i mix that with soil?

thanks ,

2. I can't tell you of any specific farmer or rancher selling it, but there are places with cattle and horses between you and Abbotsford way. Why not stop in and ask if any are willing to sell (probably would give it), if nobody comes up with a place that does.
    Out by Ladner (then eastward) there are other places with the stuff your looking for as well, if you like going for a drive.
    Have you ever used manure before? I use horse manure in my garden (as well as our own composted soil) every spring, but fall would probably be a better time to mix it into the soil. I was always told by the "old school farmers and gardeners", that drier manure was the best to use, so that is what we use. It can be broken up easily to spread around and mix into the soil, then water well and mix into soil some more. Any garden plant does really well with this. For our garden my choice will always be the horse manure.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not necessarily? It depends on one's perspective I think.

This may be of interest: The Myth of Organic Superiority (PDF)

4. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

There's always free manure on Craigslist... Should be able to find someone nearby.

I get two dumptruck loads of horse manure every month and a half delivered for free as the stable owner had to pay tipping fees at the landfill (not that you'd want that much). Lots of these places can't give it away...

5. I believe you're right. I read the attachment "Organic Superiority" and it was an interesting read.
    Not a difference where watershed is concerned, not a difference chemically for the plants and basically all the same except for preference. There is one difference I thought. While both will feed the plants, but only one will give back to and feed the land, while the other depletes the soil. Combination of rotation farming is interesting.That is something that could be debated, and I could be jumped on for, but I think I will just be happy with my preference and thank you for posting the essay.
    I am humbled.

6. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Go on the Lougheed Highway East to Pitt Meadows. Look on the map. As you cross the Pitt River Bridge, get in the left hand lane to turn. Immediately after the bridge turn left at the light. This is called "Old Dewdney Trunk Road"

Within a kilometer is Hopcott Meats and there are cattle farms that will sell you composted cow manure. I've paid a dollar for a half a garbage bag full in the past. Now I live out here, not too far away on a retired cattle farm.

Please come and take some of our cow poo away. The less there is around here on a sunny day, the better.

The alternative is take Highway One East, stay in the right lane through Coquitlam and get off before the Port Mann Bridge at United Boulevard.
    You'll come to a traffic light and " T " intersection. Waste Mangement is right in front of you.

Turn left, and keep to the right lane as you go under the Port Mann bridge.
    That lane takes you to the Mary Hill Bypass on the south side of Port Coquitlam.

The bypass ends when you merge at Lougheed Highway directly on the west side of the Pitt River Bridge.
    Be in the far left lane as you go over the bridge, and turn left at the lights on the other side
    onto "Old Dewdney Trunk Road" as previously directed

7. ManureMaiden

ManureMaiden Member

Re: where can i buy Cow or Chicken Manures and organic fertilizer?

A great resource for finding animal manure (specifically horse manure) in the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley is www.manurelink.com. It is a free resource offered by Langley Environmental Partners Society (LEPS) to help local gardeners connect with local hobby farmers who have excess composted manure.

Hobby farmers with excess composted manure put a post on Manure Link with the quantity available, type of manure, length of composting, fee (if any) and location of their farm. Interested gardeners contact the hobby farmers to schedule a time to pick-up the manure. Quite often the postings list the manure as free or there is a small bagging or loading fee.

Every spring/summer and fall LEPS gets many calls from people looking for manure which is one reason we developed the website. It makes it much easier for gardeners to access this resource and makes it easier for hobby farmers with too much composted manure.

Manure Maiden
    Langley Environmental Partners Society
    info@manuremaiden.com