piel de sapo melon

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by mikeyinfla, Jul 25, 2007.

1. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

actual name is piel de sapo also called toad skin melon. when do you tink is the best time in florida to plant seeds from this melon. i got it at walmart there where two stickers on it the other was for a different melon, the one i thought i was buying was orange flesh cantaloupe x honeydew. but this melon is a nice tasting melon green flesh with a slight orange tint to it. will the seedlings be the same or similar. will it even grow in florida ?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  2. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

orange flesh honey dew

i did go back to walmart and i picked up a orange flesh honey dew (honey dew x cantelope) i like it. will it be true to seed or being a hybride is it even fertile ??

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I believe the 'Piel de Sapo' will grow true to seed (or at least be similar). The honeydew / cantaloupe cross will not, though - if it will even germinate at all.

4. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

i have one out of four of the orange flesh honeydew seeds sprout that i planted. wrong time of the year to try but figured id plant some from the fresh seeds than plant some more later i think all the toad skins sprouted i planted 8 or so seeds and looks like all sprouted. i kinda figured the orange flesh would not be true but worth a shot anyways.will still be some sort off hybrid i wonder if the honeydew/cantelope will cross with the piel de sapo. that is if they even bloom being planted ate this time of year ty for the response

5. Pamela Tressillian

Pamela Tressillian Member

Found this post by accident!
    Having grown Piel de Sapo melons in Thailand and Australia with success, I am more than interested to know what happened to yours.
    Cheers!