Indoor grass growing

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by patgambles, Jul 5, 2012.

1. patgambles

patgambles Member

Hey,

I've been thinking on a project: A grass patch ~2.5x3m indoors.
    For the grass I want something that's comfortable to lay on, but I'm not sure of which grass species I should choose. Any suggestions?
    I'm also wondering which type of light is preferable for the grass. Will a HPS lamp do any good?

For the "foundation" I'm thinking of building a wooden box, filling it with a type of tarpaulin (then some elevation) and for drainage having a row of appropriate sized PVC tubes all split in the middle with holes in their bottom. They will be filled up with soil, but which I do not know.
    I also want to grow other plants on two of the ends. Like Nepeta cataria and Melissa officinalis.

Apart for artificial light the patch would receive secondary light from the living room windows (above where the patch will be located).
    So, is there anything I'm overlooking, and does this sound doable?

Peace

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Have no idea about the grass types, but it does sound like a wonderful, sunny nap mat for you, and the cat barb. ;))))

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

What you're overlooking, primarily, is that grass grows best in full sunlight..... However, if you do a bit of research you should be able to find out what places like, say, golf courses use for fairway grass and try that first - it's likely to be a bit more adaptable than other grasses. Your setup for growing, though, sounds great.

4. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Most grass mixes should have a minimum of three families of grass in them. You don't want a monoculture.

I'm going to presume that your area grows cool season grasses. I haven't checked ( have to run to work )

For shady areas you want a mix with a fine fescue in it.

Your best bet would be to call a turf grower in your area, and purchase a few pieces from them that are already grown and just roll them into place.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sod farm turf might have chemicals in the soil. Or have an outdoor odor. Could be some potential for getting mondo grass to grow as in indoor lawn, I suppose.

6. patgambles

patgambles Member

Thanks for the input!

I'll look into "fairway grass" and see if it may be appropriate.
    I'm currently on the move, so this project is due to be done in warmer climates, that of Spain.

Fescue lookes promising. What other kinds of grass would you recommend mixing with it?
    Mondo grass also looked exciting. I'll take that into consideration, maybe as a border line around the patch.

Preferably, I'll get to grow this patch from each grass embryo and up. I try to avoid short cuts like sod :)

7. Peperomia

Peperomia Active Member

mondo garss is best as it thrives quite well indoors or outdoors in shady places. Place it in partial shade to bright light. Fertil;ize the grass to encourage spreading. There is also a large type and a small dwarf type. Choose what you want.