Using Coffee Grounds as Mulch?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by blueberrykeeper, Jun 27, 2012.

1. blueberrykeeper

blueberrykeeper Member

I plan on using coffee grounds as a mulch as it has quite a few benefits. But I want to know what the negatives of this could be or if anyone has used coffee grounds as mulch and had a negative effect on their garden.

This is the best source for info on the effect on coffee grinds I could find

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda chalker-scott/horticultural myths_files/Myths/Coffee grounds.pdf

it's from an accredited university, I don't trust bloggers and their narcissistic views, if you do state something please try to use a citation from a scientific source not a random bloggers view.

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

There was a guy in the downtown area of Vancouver B.C. that was taking all of the coffee grinds from the local Starbucks. He ammended the soil under an overpass....It may have been under the Granville Street bridge, or one of them in that area around False Creek.

Mike McCardell on Global TV visited him for two or three years in a row. He was growing a very nice vegetable garden.
    I haven't seen any-thing about him yet this year.

3. blueberrykeeper

blueberrykeeper Member

I guess it has minimal negative effects then right?

4. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

It appears to lose most of its acidity once it has been used for making hot beverages.

5. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

Here's an article about it that I found from Washington State University. Sounds like it's a good idea. I'll certainly try it. We drink a lot of coffee.

Here's another article about the chemical analysis of coffee grounds prepared by the Soil and Plant Laboratory in Bellevue, WA for Sunset (Sunset Books).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  6. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

For a few years I regularly took the used coffee grounds (probably a third of a standard garbage can/week) from the local starbucks and spread it on my veggie garden. Can't say it did anything special as it was one of many additives I put into the soil, but it sure didn't hurt anything, as I always have had good success. I always joked that it would make the worms stay awake and work harder:)

7. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

As Linda's article says, just make sure you don't use them as straight mulch. Used straight it'll compact and impede airflow, the opposite of what you're trying to achieve. I use ours in the compost bin and it goes in Melitta filter and all.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  8. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

9. danthebotanist

danthebotanist Member

Ya, if you hit up any starbucks in the afternoon they are more than happy to give you a garbage full of their coffeegrounds/paper filter waste. I did this a lot in Victoria, but sometimes you may need to ask in advance and tell them you'll be back in a couple of hours.

10. blueberrykeeper

blueberrykeeper Member

Yes they can be real stuck up when you ask for used coffee grounds, I had to show them on their own website that it states they give out grounds for gardens for free.