When to transplant?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by BigBudz, May 9, 2012.

1. BigBudz

BigBudz Active Member

Hi im planing on buying a big japaneses red maple that someone has in there back yard. i am wondering when it will be the best time to dig up the tree and transplant it, fall,spring,mid summer, or will it be best to do so when its fall and the plants going into dormancy. thanks heres a picture of the tree i plan on transplanting.,

[​IMG]

also i am wondering how far apart i am going to have to dig around the tree to make root ball, so whats the rule of thumb? say the diamater of the tree is 6'' wide i dig how far around root ball? thanks!

Travis!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

When there are no leaves on it.

3. SFyffe

SFyffe Active Member

Travis,

You should move trees like that by hand when dormant.

In my opinion, that tree is not worth moving. You will have to destroy the deck just to get at it. It would also require a bobcat to move. I always start digging about as far out as the drip line of the tree digging down and inward. You can knock off dirt of the ball you are making to get the weight down saving roots as you go.

If you have the time you may want to see if you can find a small backhoe or small tree spade to dig it out. Might even be able to find a tree moving service.

Cool project though. I like big challenges like that.

Stephen

4. BigBudz

BigBudz Active Member

well thanks for the advice stephen it is going to be a cool project. im just waiting on the price the lady is going to sell it for.. see she wants to get rid of it cause its in a bad place and they probly just cut it down if i dont buy it. they know the deck is going to have to be opened up but thats minor just take out the screws and ****.. i am going to find out how much bobcat will be. but she was taking about getting arborist in to take it out. but if im buying it i wont mind doing it my self