Wandering Jew Question

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Comfrey, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Comfrey

Comfrey Member

I have one of the fuzzy wandering jews. It's leaves are turning dry from the root, but the soil appears to be moist. I water it once a week. It is getting moderate light. It has new shoots coming out of the soil though. Could someone give me some advice on this plant? I haven't had it long and it is my first of this kind. Thanks in advance!

2. Cristina Diaz

Cristina Diaz Member

Hello Comfrey

The leaves turning dry may indicate a lack of water, light or fertilizer. It seems to me that you are watering it properly, that is once per week or every ten days, which is all right for the wandering jew (tradescantia) in winter. Make sure you use abundant water though and let the soil dry in between waters.

The light, it is better if you place it close to a window facing South, as it will receive more light during winter. However, all this assuming you live in the North Pole and not in, say, SouthAfrica, where right now they're having summer.

I have to go now but I hope that this helps. Have a great Sunday!

Cris

---
    Cristina Diaz is an author and founder of the Beautiful Gardens Email Club.
    Get your free garden reports at http://www.soapystuff.com/free-garden-reports.html

3. Comfrey

Comfrey Member

Thank you very much! I will give it more light. My room with the most sun is the coldest room though. It is my cats bedroom and we block off part of the heat from it to save on electricity. It has it's own bathroom so we keep it warm enough to not freeze and not cold enough to bother my kitty. We are in the foothills of NC- USA. What is the lowest temp. that a Wondering Jew will thrive at? Thanks!

4. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

they can thrive in pretty low temps ..the regular wandering jews are planted outside sometimes and they die back in the winter and then come back in the sprng ..
    i have the one you are talking about and mine is doing the same .. it gets the morning sun and atually just bloomed about a month ago .. reall pretty pink flowers on that plant it probably just needs a lil mre light ..but wandering jews are pretty good plants for somewhat low light ..

Marn

5. Dee M.

Dee M. Active Member 10 Years

Mine does that too, as long as the sprouts from the roots are fine don't worry. The old branches get scraggly after a while anyway and you can cut them off and let the new shoots take over, it would be best to wait for spring to do that though..

6. Thanks for the information. I was getting concerned about my plant. I'll do as you suggest. Thanks!