PH of different Mulches - Source for Reference Chart?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by mullein, Nov 2, 2011.

1. mullein

mullein Member

I'd love to find a chart or list of the PH of different types of mulches. Have been searching and no luck so far.

Anyone have a resource for that?

Thanks in advance.

2. turtile

turtile Member

There isn't a set pH for mulches. It depends on the speed of decay. The faster it breaks down, the lower the pH becomes.

Why do you want to know the pH of mulches?

3. mullein

mullein Member

That makes sense.

Perhaps I could word it differently. It's my understanding that mulches have quite different properties regarding the way they ultimately affect the acidity of the underlying soil. I think that's why pine is a great mulch for blueberries (more acidity) and maple leaves are a great general mulch (less acidity). So many different materials are used for mulch that I think it's both interesting and helpful to know if the particular material is more extreme in either direction (acid or basic), like coffee grounds, sawdust, wood ash, etc. I have a general idea, but would like to learn more.

Is that a bit more clear? I think besides the speed of decay, the material itself has some influence, but I'm not a scientist and don't routinely check pH, so would love to hear more from those of you who know more.