Kumquats question

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by fairytalel, Sep 2, 2011.

1. fairytalel

fairytalel Member

I had a question about my Kumquats planted from seeds. About 4 years ago I planted 6 to 8 kumquat seeds. I planted them in a one gal pot in a circluar pattern with one in the middle. All sprouted and became double seedlings. The next summer I divided the seedlings and plant each in its own 2qt pot. I also divided some of the multiple polyseedling gently seperating them . After the second summer I had 10 pots of 6 to 8 inch seedlings the third summer they were 1 to 2 feet. This summer they are 3 to 4 feet and looking at them today on the 2 of September I see 3 of them have blossoms on them . I don't water them very much letting nature do most of the work but this summer with drought like conditions I try to water once a week. Should I let the blossoms stay on or pinch off. About 20 years ago I planted a " yummy grapefruit" seed I kept it in a pot for 12 or so years and it was only 4 feet tall I planted it in the ground about 4 years ago and it has grown to about 20 feet tall and has been blossoming and producing fruit for the last three years but it is not as sweet as the orginal fruit was it is a white grapefruit and is still good I have about 25 to 30 grapefruits ripening now at are the size of a softball. The tree is always covered with hundreds of sweet smelling blossoms in the spring but most fall off. I have also planted satsuma seeds and have four or so about 2 feet tall. I have given some of my seedlings to family members.

2. SeaHorseFanatic

SeaHorseFanatic Member

I would leave the blossoms on.

You seem to have a lot of good luck and valuable experience growing citrus trees from seed. Good for you. I'm guessing that Texas has better growing conditions/climate for citrus than BC, Canada. ;)

Anthony

3. fairytalel

fairytalel Member

Yes when I googled the citrus question this site came up I didn't even realize it was a Canada site until after I had sent it. It is a nice site though.