Too many choices... Recommendations Please! :)

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maplesandpaws, Aug 14, 2011.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

I am having quite the time trying to decide between some rather similar maples and, as I am rather new to the world of Acer, I was hoping I could get some suggestions or recommendations on what others would go with (and why would be nice too). :) Another factor that raises the difficulty in my choice is that the local selection on maples is quite poor; the local nurseries carry them, but only the 10-15 most common cultivars, so I can't even compare anything in person. :(

The trees I buy will be small 'starter' trees, probably 1-2 yr grafts or 1gal in size, will be kept in pots as least for now, and, probably most important to know, I live in Kansas, zone 6. Trees will get morning sun and then afternoon bright shade with some dappled sun. In general, I prefer smaller trees, with smaller leaves, as I don't have much room currently.

First up, Sango kaku-type trees: Currently trying to decide between Aka kawa hime, Fjellheim and Winter Flame, but am open to others. (I have a Bi ho and am contemplating an Aoyagi to round out the colour spectrum.)

Second, small/dwarf red dissectum: I already have a nice Crimson Queen and Ever Red, and had a Beni kumo no su for about 2 months (think it got fried during shipping and never recovered). I liked the smaller overall size of the Beni kumo no su, but the leaves were a little too finely cut for my liking. I quite like the look of Sherwood Elfin, Brocade has been recommended, and I've heard good things about Red Dragon, Red Web and Van den Akker...

Last, small(er) green dissectum: Don't have any currently, and would like one to go along with the above choice. I like Emerald Lace's smaller leaf size, but I also like the slightly chunkier leaf of the Filigree...

Thank you very much!!!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. paxi

paxi Active Member

I am somewhat close to you, here in st. Louis. Don't think you can really go wrong with a good filigree and red dragon from a reputable source. I just have not had good luck with the "sango kaku-type" trees either in terms of bark coloration or winter damage. Good luck, The red dragon in particular has been a very slower grower for me, meaning it makes a great container plant and you may keep it as small or large as you would like.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

For small dissectums in a container I like 'Filigree' for a green and 'Red Filigree Lace' for a red.

4. jwsandal

jwsandal Active Member

...why choose. Buy them all!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Go to the Topiary Gardens web site - Diana has a huge selection and all of these tress have been grown in upstate New York, so they should be more cold adapted to your area.

http://www.topiary-gardens.com/store/

Two of my favorite smaller green dissectums are 'Lemon Lime Lace' and 'Ellen'.

6. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Thanks for the info... Really torn between Red Dragon and Brocade, and I also found some very interesting pictures of Sunset (not Oregon Sunset, just Sunset) that have me thinking I need this one too...

jwsandal - I'd love to!!! Are you going to pay for them? :D

K4 - I have been to her site and like her selection, but after having emailed AND called her a couple of times with no response earlier this summer, I gave up. :( Is that typical for her to not get back to customers?

7. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

no, that's not typical. But I know in the summertime she does a lot of landscaping work, creating fountains and ponds and such. I would try again.