Too much sunlight for my Jade?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Natie, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Natie

Natie Member

Since it is so nice outside I put my jade trees outside, but in a matter of two weeks their leaves have become very red. I know that jade can get a red tinge on the leaves from a lot of sun, but one plant has gotten scorched even, and they are not even in full sun. They get about 5 or 6 hours of shade during the day, I am not sure why they are so unhappy with all the sunlight. Also another phenomenon, I put one in a glass mason jar, the roots and soil has a lot of green growth, it even looks like moss (particularly since this jar has no draining hole) I was worried, but this plant grew twice as fast as the others and is much healthier. I never knew this would happen. I have had jade all my life, but I have only lived in the dry northwest for two years, I moved from a very humid climate, so they need much more water here.

2. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Is it possible to post a picture?

I think some jades will have a red tinge if they are in full sun.

3. Peperomia

Peperomia Active Member

Reddish tinge are presnt in my jade at the edges. They are placed in a south facing windowsill. Perhaps the jade is being happy with the red tinge. Not sure. My aloe too before placed in shade. In an east facing window. When I move it outside the leaves turn into pale brown color??