Silver dollar eucalyptus tree leaf drop

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Leafy One, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Leafy One

Leafy One Member

I have an outdoor silver dollar eucalyptus tree which is dropping leaves. All new growth is beautiful but the inner leaves turn brown and drop. I am in San Diego, CA, in the northern inland section. Tree is about 35'tall. Has been fertilized with Osmacote and is on a sprinkler system. We have gotten more rain than usual this spring. No bugs or damage visible. We get the tree professionally laced and pruned by an arboriSt abt every 18 mos. the have removed weak limbs and rubbing limbs. why is it droping so many leaves and what can we do about it? Sorry, can,t give you hardiness zone as map doesn,tdisplay clearly enuf to read.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Chemical injury? Most gums don't need to be fertilized or watered, once established.

3. RockinsBotanicalWonders

RockinsBotanicalWonders Member

It is not uncommon for evergreen trees to shed a lot of old foliage before or after they push new growth. I would believe that is your situation because you state the new foliage is beautiful and healthy. I have several clients here in the Los Angeles area that have Eucalyptus dropping a lot old leaves right now with the new growth coming on healthy. The degree that trees drop old foliage can very from year to year. It may have dropped very little last year and so it is doing more this year to push more growth triggered by the wet year we have received. Always look to the new growth as an indicator of a plants health.