fruitless fuyu persimmon

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by blossomyellow, Nov 13, 2009.

1. blossomyellow

blossomyellow Member

Hi,
    I planted a Fuyu Persimmon about 5 years ago and it has never fruited. I have never seen a blossom on it either. I live in Berkeley Ca. and I see lots of trees covered in persimmons around here. It is in full sun, but gets quite a bit of wind from the coast.

Do they only fruit when mature?
    Does it need a mate (that is if it ever blooms.) I'm not sure if it's male or female.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this problem.
    Thanks!

2. ichoudhury

ichoudhury Active Member

Does it even flower and the flower then later falls off? If it doesn't even flower, I am not sure if this is a male varieties (don't know), but if your plant is flowering and then falling off, it might be going through some sort of deficiency .. Give it some Fertilizer that contains magnesium (Epson Salt), Manganese (you can get spikes that has it), Nitrate (you can find everywhere), and other good stuff. Do what I do, dig circle at the drip line proximity and then put those slow release and cover them with dirt.

(I have just planted a 2-3 years old Fuyu graft and it got a lots of small fruit. Not so much experienced myself, so take it for what its worth) :)

3. blossomyellow

blossomyellow Member

Thank you for your advice. I will try giving it some Epsom Salts and fertilizer.
    It has never flowered :( It looks healthy otherwise. I guess I will just have to be patient.

4. SeaHorseFanatic

SeaHorseFanatic Member

Are you sure its a Fuyu Persimmon tree? Could it have been mislabelled at the nursery? I have a couple and my mother-in-law has one and all have lots of fruit and we're up in Burnaby, BC.

I would also try adding more fertilizers/nutrients and see if that helps.