Going grass free in Coquitlam

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by galadriel, Mar 22, 2011.

1. galadriel

galadriel Member

Hello,

I have been researching alternatives to a grass lawn for the past several weeks, and I am very interested in using non-flowering chamomile to replace our grass.

My first question is whether that particular plant will thrive in our soggy climate?

My second question is this a safe plant, or does it have some invasive tendencies?

My final question, is if will grow in our climate, and if it is safe, then what where might I find a supplier close to home?

Thanks in advance!

Natasha

2. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

There's a lady on Denman Island who uses Roman Chamomile as a lawn. She's had a lot of success with it, and clips it by hand. I would imagine it would be easy to control; but I'm not 100% sure. The one I had in my garden bed didn't seem to be invasive. I bought mine just at a local nursery, but if you wanted to use it as a ground cover, you could ask for wholesale discount.

3. Anne Taylor

Anne Taylor Active Member 10 Years

If you are going grass free, I'm assuming you are replacing "lawn" area. If it is a fairly large space, choose a plant that will be dense enough to disallow the success of weed seeds that float in, are air dropped by birds, or are in the soil and are started into growth by the ripping out of the lawn. In fact an "invasive" ( but controllable ) plant will be what you DO need.
    I wonder if chamomile will be tough enough, especially in the soggy winter.Thyme might be better, or something that is more tolerant of wet, such as vinca minor, - Evergreen flowering and able to be trimmed.
    There's some good alternatives to lawns but best to have yourself a replacement before taking the grass out. remember... "Mother Nature HATES bare soil"
    Oh and do rent a sod cutter, they are worth every penny
    Cheers
    Anne

4. galadriel

galadriel Member

Thanks Elgordo, and Anne!

So if I understand you correctly, Anne, you would recommend cutting out the sod over smothering it (which was my original intention)?

5. SalishSeaSam

SalishSeaSam Member