camelliaS

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by samsam, Mar 26, 2011.

1. samsam

samsam Member

I have just completed The Elegance of the Hedgehog (Muriel Barberry) in which the protagonist grows camellias in flower beds. The plants appear to be low growing with beautiful flowers. I am familiar only with the trees and bushes which we have in Vancouver. What am I missing?
    Samsam

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

More like what was the author missing.

Unless they were talking about certain low-growing sasanqua camellia cultivars, that are almost goundcover plants unless supported.

3. samsam

samsam Member

Ron B. - Thanks for your response to my question. The sasanqua cultivars could be just what the author is referring to. I checked the internet and saw some very beautiful ones. Now to find them locally. Thanks again, Samsam

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Sam, they can be found at local nurseries but they are usually outnumbered by C japonica by about 20 to 1. Find the full time staff in the nursery and ask them about their inventory.

5. samsam

samsam Member

Jimmyq - Thanks for the advice. According to the internet, I should be able to find them at Arts Nursery and/or Mandeville Gardens. I came across a good article on the net (about these plants) by steve Whyall. I am on a learning curve. Samsam