Avocado leaf problems

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by azca73, Mar 18, 2011.

1. azca73

azca73 Member

my baby avocado plant was growing fine until recently. The plant is in a pot and is places outside with full sunshine all day long. I live in South California, so the temperature shouldn't be a problem. However, one leaf tip is turning dark brown seems like it is burned by something? The other big leaf turns brown on one side and then gradually turning redish. I first thought it was soil sanlinty problem, so I water it with drinking water, but it doesn't show any improvement. What's the problem? Should I fertilize it?

2. ghp

ghp Active Member

Hi, I have a mature avocado tree in and sometimes my leaves get this way when the sun is really beating down on them (I'm in Cal too). Try moving the pot to a different location to see if that helps. Also, check to see how wet the potting mix is... too much can cause the browning. I use a moisture meter to help keep track. Another thing I do is add a light layer of organic mulch to the top of the soil to help feed the tree. If those things don't resolve the problem, consider contacting your county's extension service because they can offer helpful advice as well.

Hope this helps!