British Columbia: Where to buy tree dollys

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by BloomBamboo, Nov 10, 2010.

1. BloomBamboo

BloomBamboo Member

Can anybody tell me where I can buy tree dollies or carts locally (Vancouver, Lower Mainland)?? All the stores and nursery suppliers I have asked do not sell them. However, a search online reveals many places that sell them but they are all across the border in the states.

Any info would be much appreciated!!!

2. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

The carts (wagon type) with four numatic wheels have been available at Lee Valley Tools, Canadian Tire, Costco. Probably seasonal with the latter two. They usually have side that come with them or can be purchased separately.
    The two wheeled type of dolly, I have not seen sold anywhere, although I would think one of the Nurseries might be able to assist you.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

CostCo? Sounds like you are talking about those metal wagons with the wire mesh sides. They rust out, in my experience. "Ball carts" as I think of them I'd expect to be found only at horticultural supply houses catering to the trade, for the most part. When you find one you must exclaim

Well Hello, Dolly

4. Charles Richard

Have no experience with the ones at Costco, may very well be that they rust out. Good to know.
    The one from Lee Valley has not been a problem for me as it is under cover when not in use. The dolly type that has only two wheels do work well, but unless one has one that has the foot that releases to hold the front stationary, they can dump if you do not unload from the front to back.
    Where we are there was a fella that made heavy duty ones for a friend/family that owns a few Art Knapp Plantlands. This may not be much help to you, but if so I could find out.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

6. Charles Richard

Thanks Ron,
    Have never seen these. Would be very handy and reduce alot of labour.

7. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

I use a two wheeled pneumatic tire cart, think I bought it at Home Depot for around $50; I've managed a lot of large trees and shrubs with it, and moved some fairly huge bamboo divisions. It doesn't have the depth of the pro models, so moving large rootballs requires some care, but it's been completely adequate.

I believe Ron has more or less fully exploited the pun-tential of the term 'dolly', so I'll only say in passing that if you get one, you'll be Dolly Cartin'.

8. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

How about the Pot Mover? I imagine it could be used to move small trees. It was available at Lee Valley and UBCBG's Shop in the Garden. Other places may have it too.

9. ryansenechal

ryansenechal Active Member

Pacific Arborist Supplies in North Van. If they don't have it, they could likely order it.

10. BloomBamboo

BloomBamboo Member

Thanks everyone for your reply. I should have been more specific. The dolly I am after is the two wheel type. Used for moving larger pots with plants in them. The one Ron B mentioned is perfect. Or anything similar.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDYQ8gIwBA#

However, as mentioned, they are available on the internet and in the states. I have looked around locally at a lot of wholesalers & retailers and nobody has them. Great business opportunity here??

Does anybody have any other suggestions??

11. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Consider Northwest landscape supply or East Richmond Nurseries.