Overwintering Colocasia

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Question Man, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Question Man

Question Man Member

I have a few large pots that contain various varieties of Colocasia - 'Illustris', 'Fontanesii', 'Coffee Cups', among others.

I have a 'sun room' where I overwinter other tropicals - during winter I keep it about 55 F.

My question is what is the best way to overwinter them? I want to just leave them in the pot over the winter. I would prefer not to keep them as full active plants (space is limited, I would prefer to put them pot to pot).

Can I just stop watering and once dry cut them back, then start watering again in Spring?

I thought about keeping them semi-active and just keep cutting them back ever few weeks or so. But will this use all there stored energy and make them less stronger in Spring?

I am worried about them rotting - any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

What type of soil is in the pots? Does it hold a great deal of moisture or drain quickly?

Some of these plants can actually live in water but others do better when not as wet. In that temp I would recommend just cutting way back on the water and once the plant appears to show distress water it a bit. In our atrium we keep them active year round but I think I understand what you are trying to accomplish. The soil will be the determining factor on the amount of water.

Steve

3. Question Man

Question Man Member

The medium does drain quickly.

They are in fairly large pots - maybe 2' dia. When I water will I completely wet the medium or just enough to keep it alive.

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Provided the pots will drain I would just keep the soil damp. Don't use pots that cannot drain the water. If there is no drainage hole in the bottom then periodically check deep into the soil to see how much water is being retained. The best soil mix would be highly porous and fast draining.