Best Sunflower for Saskatchewan???

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by aspenglo53, Sep 1, 2010.

1. aspenglo53

aspenglo53 Active Member

Greetings,

I planted 6 different varieties of Sunflowers this spring in the first week of June. There are only a few of the smaller varieties that have even set flowerheads. Of these, only about 6 have actually opened and they are small. None have ripened into seedheads.

How many degrees of frost does it take to kill a sunflower??? Our growing season here in the Battlefords is fast coming to an end.

I have attached a picture of my 15 Russian Mammoths! Wow...they are huge. No flowers yet.

I am growing them for the seedheads. I feed birds all winter and want to wire the heads onto trees for the birds to pick at. I would like to grow the shortest possible sunflowers (due to the nasty winds) that produce the biggest seedheads. Any ideas??? Thanks for looking! Andrea

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  2. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

There is nothing that I have found to rush sunflowers into blooming, they seem to bloom when they want. The onley thing that I can say is to do, it to plant earlier. I think that 1 frost might have an affect on them, and make them slow down on growing and the 2nd frost might make it stop growing.

3. aspenglo53

aspenglo53 Active Member

Thanks for your reply! I guess it would be easier to protect them from frost in the spring, when they are small, than in the autumn! ;>

4. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

My mammoth sunflowers have already flowered, and I have chopped them down. I put the seed heads up and I love looking at birds eating them. :) If they do flower can ya' post some pictures? And if you dont have flowers then you have a pretty tall green wall to look at.

:)

5. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

6. aspenglo53

aspenglo53 Active Member

Thanks very much for the links, KevinD! Sorry it took me so long to notice your reply! And yes, I will be ordering a smack of them there Sunflower Big Smiles!!! Andrea

7. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Glad to be of help.

8. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

So did the sunflowers bloom?!?!? :D :) :D

We had a real late frost, about a few weeks ago was out first. It would of been plenty of time for a sunflower to bloom for me.

9. aspenglo53

aspenglo53 Active Member

Hey Blake09, we lost our 12 - 13 foot tall mammoth sunflowers to a killing frost when only a couple of them had started to flower! :<

The stalks were soooooooo large that my husband had to chop them down with an axe! I'll try again next year! Thanks, Andrea