Pruning bleeding heart in the summer

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by syboly, Jul 8, 2010.

1. syboly

syboly Member

I have a very large bleeding heart that grows a lot and quickly but it tends to sprawl smothering all plants around it. Could I cut it back drastically without damaging it ?
    Thank you

2. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

You probably could give that bleeding heart a haircut. I've read that it goes dormant in the heat of summer anyway.

3. syboly

syboly Member

thank you Debbie. We had a major hail storm Monday and just about every plant is trashed. There is practically nothing left of the bleeding heart (and liguluria and hostas and lilies and on and on). It's heart breaking but they are plants and will grow back (although i have little hope for all the planters full of annuals).

4. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

Hail can be horrid! My sister lives in Minnesota and has lamented her holey hostas from time to time. Your August garden will look nice. Add some aster and rudbeckia plants if you don't have 'em already. Cheers!

5. treesrgood

treesrgood Member

Same thing happened to our garden syboly :( all our plants are trashed unfortunately. To answer your question, if you ever need to prune your bleeding heart it's perfectly safe to do it.