Japanese Garden

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kenan, Jun 30, 2010.

1. kenan

kenan Member

G'day guys,

Firstly I want to mention that I'm a noob and have no experience with gardening, planting etc. whatsover and i'm hoping to gain some knowledge and a better understanding this forum.

I have always been fascinated by Japanese gardens and bonsai and recently have fallen in love with Weeping Japanese maples. As a result I have created a small Japanese garden feature along the side of our new home. The prominant feature I wanted to achieve is the weeping maple I purchased 'inaba shidare'. I've layed out the design, planted some shrubs along with my new baby and can't wait till it comes to life in spring.

Now after doing some research, I am becoming a little anxious and worried that my baby won't be able to thrive in it's current location. I did not fully take into consideration the amount of sun / shade these species require. I planted it in a position where it is approximately 1 meter in front of our side boundrary fence that faces north. In the winter it gets no direct sun whatsover. I am not sure if the higher summer sun will be able to reach it either, however, it does get some rays and reflections from a window directly opposite (dunno if this helps).

Suggestions and ideas on how I can improve my Japanese garden ? I hope I don't need to relocate this weeping maple :(

PS: The pebbles look sandy in this pic but once they are hosed down or rained upon, they clear up and become a lighter colour.

[​IMG]

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

welcome!two advice:in this forum there is the sez.japanese garden,and in top page there is Faq "how to plant a maples";-)

3. bkb

bkb Member

I live further south so there may be a difference in the planting position. I have my tamukeyama on the north side of a building that intersects with a eastern facing wall. No light during the winter. Just ambient. They did very well this year.

I would remove the rocks near the base of the tree. You should be able to see the tree root flare.

4. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I think you'll be fine. I had my Inabe Shidare (one of my favorite maples, by the way...good choice) in a sunnier location and had to move it, so don't worry too much. I am more surprised every year to see just how little light maples will do well in. Plus, as you said, who knows how much sun you'll get when it's higher in the sky in summer. Funny, we're in the middle of summer here in the U.S. and I dread having to give it up so you can have your summer down under:)
    Kay

5. kenan

kenan Member

Hi guys,
    Just an update on what has happened. It is Spring time in Melbourne Australia and one of the coldest on record. My maple started leaving / blooming (whats the term?) but it seems like it has stopped. Only a few leaves have shot through.
    I also have another baby maple, in a small 10" pot and that has fully leaved and gone out of control. Now im wondering whats up with the one with hardly any leaves ?
    To let you guys know, the maple in the garden(with the few leaves) is in a location that is mainly shaded but gets afternoon sun for approx 5 or so hours. It hasn't been the warmest spring and another factor, which I think is the main problem, is the fact that the location it is in is prone to flooding. When it rains heavily, water runs off to where the plant is. I noticed the other day the soil was very sludgy so I had to mix in a bit of dry soil.
    Is it possible that the problem is caused from too much moisture in the soil ? or a colder than usual spring ? or not enough sun ? and can somebody tell me if the tree is dead or dying ? i have given it the scratch test and it looks pretty green....
    What are my options ? relocation ? and if so, how is this done with something that has already been planted ??
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, would hate to lose this tree :(

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  6. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

These trees will die if their roots are in the wet. They simply MUST have a free draining soil. The conditions you describe are lethal and the tree should be moved to higher ground as a matter of some urgency
    Good Luck

7. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

yes i agree with Sam!