British Columbia: Phoenix canariensis in Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by CountryPalms, Jun 24, 2010.

1. CountryPalms

CountryPalms Member

Is it possible to grow Phoenix Canariensis (Canary Island Date Palm) in Vancouver or Victoria? I read on Wikipedia that as long as the temperature doesn't go below -10C for extended periods it can survive and that if it does get that cold you just need to protect it. I see these all the time in San Fransisco and I would love to see them flourishing on the BC coast. They are so beautiful!

2. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

It would need pretty heavy duty protection most winters. And you might have it survive quite a few winters, only to have it succumb to a more vicious winter. But there are websites outlining with illustrations how to protect them should a cold snap occur; there are a few places in Southern England that have been growing them successfully for decades. The secret to their success is getting them through the first decade or so, spending much time and effort protecting them in the winter.

3. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

Northwest Palm and Exotic Plant Society website is good as well: www.hardypalm.com - try also www.hardytropicals.co.uk. A good site for steps to protect palms is bigplantnursery.co.uk. Hope these help!

4. CountryPalms

CountryPalms Member

I think if people were to put in the time and effort then I would love to see a couple of these over at English Bay in Vancouver. That place is so tropical looking and it seems like the perfect spot since its right next to the water.

5. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

Yeah, but someone would have to be committed to it. It would be really cool, though. Maybe a hotel owner or building manager might do that.