Mango question

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by yeliabmit, Jun 19, 2010.

1. yeliabmit

yeliabmit Member

I have a 30" mango tree I grew from a seed (from a supermarket-bought mango) that's been growing very slowly in pots for the last 5 years, and has just suddenly become droopy and looks like it's about to drop all its leaves. I suspect the Vancouver climate isn't warm enough for it to thrive, but it was at least doing OK until very recently. Do mangoes outside the tropics have a limited lifespan?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2010
  2. Ellisbrayham@shaw.ca

Ellisbrayham@shaw.ca Active Member

3. yeliabmit

yeliabmit Member

4. yeliabmit

yeliabmit Member

It occurs to me that perhaps a bit more description is in order (because I don't have pics to post). The petioles of the leaves are sort of greyish or blackened, and the leaves have all drooped, as if the plant had been starved of water. There is no unusual discolouration of the stem of the plant itself. There is what looks like a very nascent bud at the very top of the stem, which I am hoping against hope means it might produce some new leaves as it sheds the existing ones.

Any comments from those who know more about plants (and mangoes) would be most gratefully appreciated.