Transplanting mature rhodo

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by jbutts, May 19, 2010.

1. jbutts

jbutts Member

My neighbours are rebuilding their house next door, and decided the 9' diam. 8' high rhodo would have to go. they insisted I take it, since the demolition guy said he could dig me a spot in my garden and excavate the rhodo and drop it into the new spot. OF COURSE it wasn't that simple, but there is currently an enormous, fabulously blooming, medium-size-leafed mature rhodo in a suitable spot in the backyard.

The excavating bucket was three feet, so that's the size of the rootball. Which was hardly a rootball at all, but there are roots, and there is soil. It's situated in a semi-shaded area, will get no morning sun, lots of afternoon sun in deep summer, and little sun at soil level because of a 6' fence behind it.

So, what do I do now? Is there any chance of salvaging it?

2. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

Hi jbutts,
    We have moved and tranplanted quite a few large Rhodo's and they usually do quite well. Just make sure that you keep it well watered and have a good mulch over the root surface. Make sure that you apply a rhodo fertilizer ontop of the soil (not mixed into the soil). We use 10-8-6. If where you have sited the rhodo is quite different (light, etc.) this can make a difference on the plants growth and health.
    Generally speaking they are fairly forgiving. You could use a transplant fertilizer (liquid)
    for a couple of weeks (applied once weekly), but not necessary.
    Hope the rhodo does well for you.

3. jbutts

jbutts Member

Thanks Charles. The lighting will be a little different from its original spot, and yes, I've been watering daily, and have mulched with cedar mulch. Did some bone meal in the planting hole, but didn't do any other fertilizer. Do you think I should push back the mulch and get it on the soil, or use a liquid fert and over-water it?

Janet

4. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

HI jbutts,
    I would use the granular Rhodo fertilizer 10-8-6 before any other. This fertilizer will get released slowly as it gets watered (rained) in. You do not want to put it against the roots. I would put it on top off the mulch and usually at the drip line of the root system. May have been reduced with transplanting. The transplant fertilizer (liquid) is good, but not necessary to use.
    Enjoy your new Rhodo.

5. jbutts

jbutts Member

Will do. Thanks again.

J