strange growth in SW FL crawl space

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by cesmusicmom, May 4, 2010.

1. cesmusicmom

cesmusicmom Member

My bug guy found this strange growth in my crawl space. Does anyone know what it is. He claims it will cost 4K to have it removed....

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks fungal. You have no moisture barrier over the ground?

3. cesmusicmom

cesmusicmom Member

We bought it awhile ago and what we looked at was covered with sheets of some kind of plastic I guess. I'm surprised the house inspector didn't tell us we needed more vapor barrier. It's ours now. Is it safe to remove this fungus? I have spent hours searching and looking at finger fungi, phallic fungi, coral fungi......

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Successful abatement would not depend on which particular fungus it was anyway. The main thing is to keep molds and wood-rotting agents out of your structure. Of course, you would not want a whole bunch of spores coming up into the house from the ground beneath, either.

5. Corey

Corey Member

You may want to move this to Fungi, Lichen & Slime Mold identification & appreciation. They should be able to tell you if its toxic.
    If its not & you only found it under the plastic, mabey just remove the plastic pieces (they trap the moisture coming from the soil and create an ideal "environment") & growth from under the house & see if it comes back. I have been researching my own mystery growth and there is no guarentee with these types of things. They also seem to be seasonal, so your 4K person better guarentee if for at least a couple of years, and chances are he will be there all the time and saturate you & your home with poison. See the above forum for others results.