need suggestions for a JM

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Dr. Cindy, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Dr. Cindy

Dr. Cindy Member

Are there any dwarf JM's that will thrive in a container in full shade? This container is on my front porch under an alcove (hence the full shade) and I haven't been successful at growing anything nice in it yet :( A rep from Iseli told me Viridis will do well. There just isn't a ton of room for the tree to grow and sprawl, so I'm a bit hesitant to try a laceleaf. Thanks!

2. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

Most JMs will grow fine in full shade, but most of the red-leaved varieties will not keep their color very well unless they get some sun. I would focus more on finding a maple that will fit your space, which means dwarf varieties. Most of the green-leaved varieties seem to be more sensitive to harsh sun, so would grow better in full shade.

I have grown the following varieties in containers on a very shady deck that gets morning sun only for a few hours: Kamagata, Shishigashira, Ojishi, Wilson's Pink, Orange Dream, Tiger Rose, Sharp's Pigmy, Mikawa yatsubusa, Koto no ito. Of these, Sharp's Pigmy, Mikawa yatsubusa and Ojishi are the most dwarf and least likely to outgrow your space.

I've also grown some red varieties on my deck but they won't hold their color well unless they get some sun.

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

While not strictly dwarfs, maybe 'Filigree', 'Shigitatsu sawa' or 'Ukigumo' would be suitable. Or any of the slower growing variegated JMs tend to appreciate some shade.

If the shade is too dark you may find nothing will do well there. Is the porch north facing? Is it an open aspect or crowded in by tall trees or buildings?

4. Dr. Cindy

Dr. Cindy Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, the porch is facing north. While it's not "dark" on decent sunny days, (there's nothing to block incoming light) it gets absolutely no direct sun. I want to find a dwarf variety so I don't have to worry about a) fast growth, and b) too much growth in general so I can keep it in the container I have. Dawgie, I will check out some of your suggestions. I already have Shishigashira, Koto No Ito, Mikawa Yatsubasa (one of my favorites), Orange Dream, and Wilson's Pink. I saw a Sharp's Pygmy yesterday and thought the round shape was certainly different from most JM's. I will have to check out Ojishi; I haven't heard of that one.

5. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Ojishi is one of the forms of shishigashira.