chocolate tree

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Jolly_d_m, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Jolly_d_m

Jolly_d_m Member

Is there a place in Vancouver that deals with Cocoa beans for planting?

Any alternatives?

2. PenderPalms

PenderPalms Member

We have available whole dried Theobroma cacao beans but are under the impression that fresh moist whole beans are required to be viable for germination? What is your experience or knowing on this? And are you looking to grow indoors only?

3. Jolly_d_m

Jolly_d_m Member

Thanks for the reply.
    The seeds might be good but i don't know enough about those seeds to label them as OK yet.

The most exotic tree i have so far is a grape fruit tree. I also have cherry, apple and pear, but I don't think i can apply their logic to cocoa trees and the closest bean i have are vegetable beans.

I'm under the presumption that dry maybe OK.

All the other seeds I've had have been dry. What i would be worried about is the oil inside the seed is still intact and no extreme conditions used to dry them.

Ideally the beans would be air dried.
    Sun dried might damage (cook) the seed and chemical dry (like in bulk foods) would prob be make the seed inert.

But yeah looking to grow indoors. I did find one company in Florida that sells and ships potted cocoa trees but shipping a 1 gallon plant from Florida to BC is risky for the plant and prob expensive. so I'd rather keep searching at least till mid summer when my odds of the plan surviving the trip might be better.

4. Jolly_d_m

Jolly_d_m Member

Actually after surfing around one persone that's been germinating these trees for a long time said it's importent for them to be moist. So looks to be a long shot that dried would work.

bummer.

Thanks for the reply though. Do you know where the seeds originated by chance?

5. Ritchie Annand

Ritchie Annand Member

I wish there was a supplier of such things out west. I think I may have lost my sole seedling as well.

Flora Exotica out in Montreal is pretty good for exotics, and they carry Theobroma. I'm out in Alberta, and the plants from my last lot arrived in pretty good shape considering the journey, but that's such a long journey!

I'm surprised B.C. doesn't have something.

6. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

Ritchie Annand: I'm also interested in getting fresh seeds. Pods are the best bet. You can check e-bay for sellers. But beware I ordered from palmetto'guy don't know if they ship out of the states, the pod was small having 11 seeds 4 worth planting. You can also look at http://www.tropilab.com/webstore.html I orderd a pod from them nothing yet. I called them an got a return call within an hour. Feedback is at http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/ look for them. Ratings not good. But everthing seems fine with me. This is all I have to go by for vendors. If your able to find another source please share. I will bo the same. Dale

7. drichard12

I live in the USA Northern Mich. I'm testing Theobroma cacao at this time they are growing in a heated greenhouse. I'm very interested in hearing from any UBC members. This tree is very very hard to grow. I only found 2 postings using the Search . Dale

8. Ritchie Annand

Ritchie Annand Member

I'm growing mine on a table just by our bay window in our new house. It had been almost done in by spider mites, but despite looking utterly dead on two occasions, I've managed to coax it back to life. It's a very bright window, and I've taken to shading it somewhat with the leaf of a bird-of-paradise to more closely simulate forest lighting.

The germination rate is just awful, but the seedling seems okay. Are you having other issues with the plants? Not that I have knowledge categorical on the subject; I'm just wondering if anyone has encountered issues with the actual growth of the plant or troubles transplanting, etc.

9. drichard12

I received the seed pod from http://www.tropilab.com/webstore.html It was was just beautiful. Having 40 very very nice seeds. I used the instructions found on this site. http://www.ehow.com/how_2104210_grow-cacao.html and have them all planted in a seed mix using 70/30 Perilite and Peat. It's only been a few days since planting so it's much to early to say.

I do have two other seedlings growing about 3 inches tall. I potted them up the other day by placing them in 20oz drink cups. using a 3/1 mix of chc (coconut husk chips)and peat. They grow very fast. Great care must be taken when transplanting, the root system is very delicate and the tree can be very easily shocked. It's also best to use organic fertilizers for feeding using it on the weaker side. I use Alaskan Fish and Seaweed extract. The trees can handle a moderate amount a salt build up. This can be removed be soaking the container in fresh water for about an hour than flush with clean water a few times. It's best to water using rain, snow or pond water. city water should be avoided. I hope we can compare notes. Best of Luck. Dale

10. Lilithv

Lilithv Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2010