Dark growth on hoya

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by kimberlyhope, Dec 27, 2009.

1. kimberlyhope

kimberlyhope Active Member

Hello. I was surprised to find these leaves on my hoya...

The pictures aren't the greatest quality. The leaves are a dark burgundy color with red around the edges. The undersides of the leaves are green and a little velvety. These are the only two leaves that look like this on the whole plant.

Can someone give me a little insight??

Thanks,
    Kimberly

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

which hoya is it?? i don't recognize it...

if it's a cross, then it could be it's reverting back to one of the parents. could also be that it's a lighting issue - that spot is getting too much or too little and is resulting in the discoloration.

3. kimberlyhope

I'm not sure what kind of hoya it is. I've only had the plant for about a month, so I don't know what the flowers will look like. Maybe I can have someone on here help me identify it once I have better pictures.

My gut says lighting isn't the issue. In the plants normal hanging spot, it gets pretty even lighting.

I am very curious to see what happens with it. And I think I may also stop back into the floral shop where I purchased it to see if they can help me.

Thanks Joclyn!

4. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Looks like a Hoya carnosa, possibly "Krimson Queen". Burgundy growth (if not another type of plant) should later turn variegated like the rest of the plant.

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

you can *just* see some white on the edges of the burgundy leaves...maybe it's a new growth thing and the leaves will go to the normal gree after they mature a bit?? new rose growth does that...

krimson queen? now that you mention it, that might be right. isn't that one a cross carnosa with something?

6. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

From what I understand, Krimson queen is a clone, as well as K. princess of the original carnosa, but I'm not 100 percent sure that's right.

7. kimberlyhope

After comparing my plant to some Krimson queen images online, they do seem to match up pretty well. But I am not very familiar with hoyas, so a lot of them seem to look alike to me.

I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on my burgundy leaves and let you know what happens :)

Thanks all!