: ) seeds you have, and seeds you want...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, May 11, 2009.

1. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Thank you so much.

I am seriously looking into a greenhouse, i just dont know if i want to put out that kind of money, with Christmas around the corner.

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I can just send the 'high color mini' until Spring, and then send the others later in Spring. I intend on setting you up with many varieties, Penny. Not to worry, you will grow banana plants for sure. I will personally see to it. Your high color mini will be ready for me to mail in a week's time or so - just want it to get going a bit, like it is now. I wrote your name on it, so it is your banana baby.

You are very welcome, and thank you for your many lovely bulbs and seeds. I enjoy sharing with pals and setting them up with something they really want. I sure know how it is too, when I want something, so it is right to spread the generosity around to others like it was spread to me.

Thanks for changing your 2 words in the story post! It's better if it flows. Don't be afraid to get goofy too.

Anyone else interested, feel free to join in - but you gotta follow the rules, or The Hollyberry Lady, will zap your a** off of the thread! LoL - hahahaha.

: P

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=56863&goto=newpost

3. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Thanks again Sherry,
    I'm off to make supper and get a couple things done here, while i am cooking...........so have a great night and i might pop in later on,.

4. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Wow nice idea, except a post from me soon

5. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, Blake, feel free...

Ok, Penny, have a good dinner - chat again soon.

: )

6. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Morning everyone,

Its raining here again, i was going to go out and harvest some seeds, but i'll see if the rain lets up first.,

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Don't forget to collect more rain water, Penny!

8. robv187

robv187 Member

Hi everyone, thanks hbl for wanting to send me something, I really appreciate that and hope you'll enjoy the seeds i sent. Thanks too penny, please let me know if you like the seeds lol.

I bought a soil moisture meter hbl, just came in the mail today, the one I showed you a link for in the past. I have a kanzan cherry tree in my backyard, about 11 feet high already, but its still a baby I guess. They're one of the most beautiful trees when mature, so watering it properly is something i'll need to take extra care in. The meter seems to work great, it's a cheaper one, but it was able to give me a reading. The soil at the top was dry, but when i put it under the soil it read 9 out of 10, so infact the soil was very moist! I would have never have even known that, I think for $10 including shipping, it's a smart investment as it takes the guess work out of everything.

Penny you are so lucky, i wish that i had my very own banana plant LOL. Maybe someday :)

Shearme, my loquats, hmm, not too sure how healthy they are. I am making sure i give them water and i try my best to give them some sunlight here and there, usually 5-8 hours a day as college has me away from the house a lot these days. I'll take some pictures of them soon, maybe you guys could give me an opinion :P

9. The Hollyberry Lady

No need to wish for a banana plant Rob - I'll send ya one in Spring...

10. robv187

robv187 Member

That's really sweet of you, looking forward to spring now :)

11. The Hollyberry Lady

I'd send ya one now, but I have no pups (baby banana plants) yet...

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Well ok, good news...

My Plumeria branch seemed to be growing a baby leaf, and tonight when I tugged on the branch, it was totally tight and snug, which can only mean...

ROOTS!!!

I didn't want to pull too much, bet enough to tell that roots are definitely holding it in place. How cool. I thought it would be more like two months. I am so looking forward to waching it re-grow itself.

I will show pics later...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  13. robv187

robv187 Member

i know you would, I really appreciate that, it makes spring that much more to look forward too though :)

Didnt see that post lol, WOW, take lots of pictures, when will it start to blossom? I bet the smell will be amazing.

14. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh how exciting - yes the smell is going to be awesome, I'm told. I just can't wait!

15. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

How very awesome! It can be such a pain waiting for cuttings to root, I often tug at them a bit myself, if not more than I would care to admit. I have a red-riding-hood mandevilla which I swore would not root, but it is still green today, and showing signs of growth - almost 2 months later! As the plant in the ground will probably die this winter due to its poor health (its roots have shown signs of rot in the clay soil) I am saving this small plant for next year as the blooms were wonderful - my original intent. And if the mother plant survives, what better than to have two blossoming plants?

Rob, don't worry about the time spent with your plants, a gardener should enjoy the time he spends and not grudge himself for those hours he does not.

16. The Hollyberry Lady

Thanks ShearMe.

Taking two months for a cutting is normal - especially hardwood. My lilac shrub cutting took a little over two months to root.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  17. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Good morning everyone,

Its still dark here but its supposed to be around 20 today, and no rain, so i am going to cut the grass because they said the rain will be back tomorrow and all through the weekend too.

Yaaaaa, on having roots now Sherry, it'll do great now for you.~~!!

No banana plant yesturday.

18. kinghedes

kinghedes Active Member

wow 20 degrees here every one thinks it cold because we got a northern 2 days ago and it 70 out side but this is the first time it been under 90 in a wile

19. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Hi there Kinghedes,

That does sound funny doesnt it, but here in the northern part of Ontario, for this time of the year, thats pretty warm for us (LOL).
    Trying to harvest as many seeds as i can now, to prepare for when it gets really bad here.

20. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, can't wait to get a pm from Bob because I told him about the Plumeria developing it's first roots. He will be so pleased. I am just still in shock that the plant is really mine! Now it actually is a plant, and has it's own root system! Yippeeee.

It is sending the day in my warm bedroom window today - usually it's in the the living room window. I think it's the heat mat treaments it got at night that made it root so fast, because I read that Plumeria cuttings like to have warm soil at night, and be bright and cooler in the daytime.

I will take shots as it re-grows and establishes itself. I hope I can make it happy, and make it bloom like crazy! I am told that I could see blooms as early as next Spring!!!

: O

21. The Hollyberry Lady

By the way...

Welcome Kinghedes! Are you a seed trader?

22. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Popping back in,
    I've been out cutting the grass and weeding, and got an envelope from Rob :)

Thank you so much for the surprise goodies in there, i am soooooo going to need bigger gardens next year!!!
    Thanks again Rob. :)

23. robv187

robv187 Member

Hey everyone, you're very welcome penny, wasn't too sure what to send LOL so i threw random things in there. I bought so many seeds that the reality is I could never use them all for myself, so sharing with friends is a great feeling. HBL, you should be getting yours friday hopefully :)

24. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

I know the feeling, i love to send out to others and share.
    I need to go through all of mine(seeds) here soon, and decide on what i will use and what i wont, and get rid of some, so dont be surprised if some envelopes start showing up at people's door's (LOL)!!!

25. The Hollyberry Lady

Just got your envelope right now, Rob! Oh boy, am I excited! Those blue ice petunias sound unbelievable! Wow - I love Petunias. The blue African Lily sounds unusual too.

I cannot even tell you how grateful I am for the Venus Flytrap seeds! Thank you sooooo much! Do you know how long I've wanted those?!!! This is way too cool.

I will get something together for you this weekend. What exactly do you want me to germinate for you, besides the banana seeds? I want to be clear...

Thanks once again, Rob. The seeds are great. So exciting. I am going to start some of them today!