AV over-blooming??

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Rhynno, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

Hi all,

I have a dumb question. My AV's (minis and standards) have bloomed steady and hard for the last six months. Even newly started babies have joined in (some only have a few mature leaves and they start blooming). The plants seem to still be healthy but is too much too much? I love it, don't get me wrong but I don't want the plants to bloom themselves to death like I've seen other species do from time to time.

This is strange for me because my AV I had for years never bloomed. I gave it away when I moved and the next month it bloomed like crazy for my friend lol.

Thanks,

Ryan

2. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

AV = African Violet??

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Usually, AV = AntiVirus, e.g. AVG, Norton, McAfee, etc. Sounds a bit improbable in this case!

4. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

This is the second post ive seen about African Violets were the person just abbreviated it as AV and here comes the jokes ... i think you all know what the person meant .. everyone knows what AV means expecially in a plant forum and umm they did mention blooms ... I dont think Nortons has ever bloomed .. so im sure they were not asking a question about that ... they just wanted an answer ..

I dont think it will harm the plant at all .. taking away from the production of leaves or killing it .. i guess you just happen to have it in the right spot were it is very happy ..
    good luck with it ..

Marion

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not true at all. I certainly didn't have a clue what was meant by 'AV', and I'd think the majority won't, either. People can't expect to get the answers they are looking for, if they post in riddles, or incomprehensible initials.

It is quite clear on the other thread concerned ( http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=56169 ), that no-one posting there knew what was intended by either 'AV' or 'CC'. Kevin has hazarded a guess above as to what 'AV' might possibly be, but the 'CC' on the other thread remains a complete mystery.

6. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

The "CC" as I know it means, Christmas cactus.

7. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

It's best never to assume. I've never seen these abbreviations before. I was guessing that it meant African Violet. Without a description, it could also mean Aloe Vera. Best to give as much info as possible.

With all that aside, have we answered the original question?

8. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

On this one, yeah, I think it was answered that nonstop blooming on an African Violet is not a sign of impending doom.

I'd never seen AV, but thought it was african violet from the context. Also never saw CC before.

Recently, somewhere saw MG for morning glories, but I think it was a convolvulus thread. I've also known hemerocallis fanciers to just call them hems. I figure it's just a shorthand used by the familiars. When I worked in a menswear department years ago, I'd describe a man as a "42 long" because that's the terminology I used at work, and at play with my workmates.

I think the Latin names are important, but I also realize that they are intimidating to people who have never used them. People who have used acronyms within a subset of like minded people probably need to recognize that their terminology is not common after all.

The solution is longterm, and many of us are practicing it anyway. Use the Latin genus and species, and use a common name if more people will know that one. Even those of us who use the Latin can unintentionally be obscure. What the heck is T. latifolia for instance? We'd need the genus to be sure.

9. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

What I want to know is how you intended to stop it blooming if it was detrimental.....?

Actually, I have a question about AV's also, should they be fertilised if they're flowering - even if its winter?

10. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

If you think plant is blooming itself to death, simply cut off the flowers to give more energy to the plant. In this case, though, it isn't a problem.

11. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

So if I'm using Norton antivirus will Telus come to my apartment and beat me with a sock filled with nickles? Seriously though I've seen "AV" for african violet so much I thought that the term was more meanstream =/.....

Oh well, I guess I'll leave them bloom their hearts out. If they croak I suppose that's my answer =/.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ryan