Corn tassels, no silks!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by High Desert Deb, Aug 24, 2009.

1. High Desert Deb

High Desert Deb Member

I live in a pretty harsh environment with a relatively short growing season (July to September) and had a good crop of corn plants growing until all of a sudden, at about 2-1/2 feet tall they started to tassel. Unfortunately, there is not one silk on any of the plants! Any thoughts?

2. worldharmony

worldharmony Active Member

Hello,

First, have you grown corn before and NOT had this happen, or is this unusual? How long has it been since you sowed your corn? We grew corn and had tassels by week 8 or 9, and silks a week or two later. How long have you been seeing the tassels? What variety of corn are you growing? If you have not had this problem before with this variety of corn, my first response is that your plants have been very stressed to have tasseled so early - lack of moisture is one possibility.

3. High Desert Deb

High Desert Deb Member

Thanks for your reply! Actually, some silks are now emerging and I am hoping that eventually most of the stalks will produce at least one ear.
    Moisture isn't the issue, we have our irrigation set up to water an hour twice a day and it rained every day in June. I am hoping that the little fellas continue to put on silks. The seeds were a short-season corn from Burpee. I can't remember the name right now. Thanx again!