Is This A Mutation? Twin Leaves? Some Anomaly?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by gruenerdaum, Jul 29, 2009.

1. gruenerdaum

gruenerdaum Member

I'm curious if this lettuce leaf (or leaves I guess) is unusual in some way. It was picked out of one of those big lettuce bowls where different varieties grow together. In the middle, the vein (?) splits, and 2 separate leaves are formed (they look basically identical, and are separated a little at the very top which is hard to see from the pic). I'm wondering if 2 leaves grew together, then split, or whether they are like lettuce Siamese twins! Is there a name for such an aberration? Anyway, I just couldn't eat it! I thought it might make an interesting topic of discussion. Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. worldharmony

worldharmony Active Member

Well, it's a pretty leaf, but the lobes don't look alike, actually (sorry!) I don't know what variety of lettuce it is but the red and green together are pretty. If you know who packages the mesclun mix, you can probably find out what kind of leaf it is online.

3. gruenerdaum

gruenerdaum Member

It was a pretty leaf and would have made a good Valentine's Day present (i.e., the heart shape)! My pic isn't the greatest. Due to the differing colors and since the leaf doesn't lie totally flat, it's difficult to see how alike the lobes were when I held it in my hand----even the sub-veins (??). I don't know my leaf structure vocab! Anyway, I swear they looked very twin-like! I'm not so much interested in the type of leaf, but rather in the growth pattern and whether it's anything out of the ordinary from a genetic (?) standpoint. Thanks for reply!