Pony Tail

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Bridgetann, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Bridgetann

Bridgetann Member

I recently moved to tempe az and put my ponyy tail plant outside and water it almost everyday. 3 days ago I moved it to the back yard where it gets even more sun. Is this going to be too much sun?

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

How a plant responds to sun, is in part, a function of adaptation. For example, anyone who has indoor plants and then places them outside in the sun for the afternoon, often ends up with a sunburn-damaged plant. Take that same plant, slowly increase the light over several weeks, and it may tolerate or even thrive in full sun.

Be careful with the watering. If the soil is dry between waterings, fine. Otherwise, you are dealing with an arid-climate plant that will rot if left in wet/moist soil.

3. Bridgetann

Bridgetann Member

Thank you for your answer. The plant seems to b adapting very well with all this sun and heat. Another thing I have learned out in AZ, is the water has a lot of alkaline salt content, so I fill buckets of water and leave it sit out in the sun for at least 12 hrs b 4 I use it to water my plants.