Identification: what is this?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Deelishus, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Deelishus

Deelishus Member

This is my first post and will definitely not be my last as I am relatively new to the botanical world and will be seeking lots guidance from some of you seasoned pros. So here goes. What is the plant in the white pot in the attached picture (purchased at Canadian Tire about a year ago). It hasn't grown much and I love it dearly and would like it to flourish as much as possible. Right now it's sitting on my desk near my full spectrum desk light and i water it about once a week or at least when i notice the top layer of soil is dry. Some care tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Oh by the way its a bit bare on the side facing the wall.

Attached Files:

2. gahardy

gahardy Member

I believe we are looking at a Weeping Fig (Ficus benjamina), a variety called Starlight

3. gahardy

gahardy Member

Oh as for care, well I think others might help better, as I have no luck keeping F. benjamina, but what I can tell you is the hate to be moved (even turned drastically such as 180 degrees) and they will not stand for any drafts, never near an open window or a door that opens to the outside.

4. Deelishus

Deelishus Member

thanks for the quick reply.

5. James D.

James D. Active Member

That pot is a little bit too big for the tree, it may fill the pot up with roots first and then begin to grow stems/branches. They do not like cold drafts, but can be put outside in the spring and summer in a semi-shady area. If you notice an pure gren leaves growing on your ficus, cut them off other wise it will eventually revert back to being totally green. Keep the soil moist but not soggy, and let it get dry between waterings. Hope this helps.

6. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Mine gets "some" direct sun where it sits a little off to the side of a south window which helps keep the variegation bright.