victoria plum supplier

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by mvarelas, Apr 8, 2009.

1. mvarelas

mvarelas Member

I have been trying to find a Victoria plum, but can find no nursery in BC that carries it. Triple tree used to carry it 5 years ago, says that they got it from Cannor, but now neither knows where to get it. I found a nursery in south Wasington State that carries it but they can't provide a phytosanitary certificate and the USDA says they therefore cannot clear it across the border. Does anyone know where to get it?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Have you grown or eaten it before? While a traditional variety in UK it isn't necessarily a top choice in all respects for the modern orchard. Maybe it doesn't merit moving Heaven and Earth to acquire. There are many other varieties; the fact is sometimes famous old kinds get displaced because they no longer hold up - or they do not appeal to modern tastes and other requirements, like how much fussing over them modern gardeners are willing to make.

3. davelll

davelll Member

I would be very interested in suggestions for hardy plum and cherry varieties, I'm a retail nursery in Southeast Alaska, wet summers and snowy icy winters, a good plum would be a great addition to our local fruit enthusiasts

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

5. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

6. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Hi Davell; This is great group if you're interested in fruit growing in your climate.

http://www.apfga.org/

http://www.goodfruit.com/issues.php?article=24&issue=2

Cheers

Kim

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  7. mvarelas

mvarelas Member