Please help. My potted lemon tree has burned spots?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by lnewportTX, Mar 7, 2009.

1. lnewportTX

lnewportTX Member

Please,

I know I ask a lot of questions and not sure why no one wants to answer my others but could you please take a minute and look at this? I have four citrus trees all together and planted three of them to see how they will do. This one I left potted because my one lime tree is doing great right now but one of the planted lemon Meyer trees is looking a bit bare bones. If something was to start happening to it I felt at least I have this guy in a pot and hopefully in ideal conditions.

I bought this lemon tree about a week ago and potted it into a pot which was about the same size it came in.

The reason I re-potted was because it was in a black pot so I placed in a white pot as recommended here on other posts here.

I used Miracle Grow's Citrus, Palm and Cactus soil to pot it because a lot of the soil was left behind in the black pot when I lifted it out.

I then sprinkled a little bit of citrus fertilizer at the edges of the pot and watered it in really well.

It's been doing well outside but recently it has been really windy outside and I been keeping it inside the house for the last two days because I didn't want the wind to tear off it's leaves.

Well today I noticed that there are spots on the leaves which look like little burn marks.

I have been keeping the plant at my dining room table, under our chandelier which has CFL lights in it so it's not hot.
    Does anyone know what this is? Could it be burn marks?

Here are some pictures
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/laustintx/sets/72157614822134637/

2. Silverfox

Silverfox Member

The fact you stated that some of the existing soil in the original container fell off during transplant and then the fertilizer application it sounds and looks like the fertilizer might be the reason for the burn marks on the leaves.

I dont know what the analysis of the fertilizer you used was but about all I can suggest is providing you have good drainage in the new container you will need to water thoroughly daily for a week or so after removing the burned leaves and hope for the best. Leave the plant outside in the sun. The 15 to 25 mph winds wont hurt it.

I personally in mid Feb. have planted various citrus varieties in 20 & 30 Gal. containers using a soil mixture ratio of two 1cu.ft. bags of Miracle-Gro Palm & Citrus, one 50 pound bag of Black Kow composted manure thoroughly mixed in a large wheelbarrow. The last top 4 inches of soil in the container is mixed with Miracle-Gro Sphagnum Peat Moss. Then I use some fine hardwood mulch on top but not against the trunk. I normally dont apply any type fertilizer for several weeks and simply water every other day for a month in dry weather until I know the tree is establishing itself in its new container.

Regards & Good Luck !

3. firebirdbandit

firebirdbandit Member

The miracle grow citrus, cactus and palm soil already comes with fertilizer mixed in it. Its enough to feed for 3 months. Its likely you over fertilized when you added more.

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

lnewportTX, your trees leaves do not have fertilizer burn. What has happened to the tree's leaves is a condition called Mesophyll collapse. It generally occurs when there is a sudden change in the soil moisture status combined with low atmospheric humidity, (bringing your tree indoors). Any destruction of surface roots, which can be caused by transplanting, when moisture is deficient may contribute to this condition. The problem for your tree is most probably not serious, and the plant should be OK. - Millet (1,414-)

5. lnewportTX

lnewportTX Member

Thanks everyone. I did flush it out with lots of water (needed a watering ) and placed it back outside. It doesn't look like it's getting any worse. Thanks again.