Citris histrix (seed)

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by tabbydan, Jan 15, 2009.

1. tabbydan

tabbydan Member

How big do the seeds have to be to be viable?

I bought a kaffir lime in Bangkok for 2 bath (~$0.06 US) and perhaps I should have bought several at that inexpensive price (since I had a feeling seed might not be forthcomming).

I ate the fruit (rather harsh as a hand fruit but then I think I'm the only person who'd eat it out of hand) and found these tiny pips inside. It looks like there is an embryo under the cover but a really tiny one. I'm not sure that they are viable but will try.

Has anyone had success with the tiny pips?

The vendor oddly indicated that it was for hair use rather than food use (seemed odd since while it is used for hair in S E Asia my understanding is that it is also used for food in all those places too).

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re: Citris histrix (seed) won't let me add to the old post

Generally, it is the leaves of the kaffir lime tree that are used in cooking, especially in Thai receipts. The fruit are rarely, if ever, eaten fresh. I have no idea if your seeds are viable or not, however smaller size citrus seed could certainly be viable seed with perhaps a single embryo. Further, small, and misinformed seed have a better chance of producing a triploid seedling. Plant the seed, and maintain the potting medium at 86F (30C), if the seed are viable you should see germination in 15-21 days. If you maintain a lower temperature then recommend, germination will take longer. If the temperature is maintained too low, the seed could be in danger of rotting. If the fruit you purchased was still to hard, it might have been too immature, thus the seed would also be immature. Good luck. - Millet

3. tabbydan

tabbydan Member

Re: Citris histrix (seed) won't let me add to the old post

Yeah, I think I'm one of the few people sick enough to eat a kaffir lime straight (w/o a miracle fruit ahead of time).

I got to set up my germination box again, for the kaffir lime and all the other goodies I got (durian seed, unknown syzygizum seed,...)