Arundinaria Fortunei going to seed?

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by cocobolo, Oct 22, 2008.

1. cocobolo

cocobolo Active Member

I have gone through the entire 8 pages here, and there is very little on bamboos flowering and going to seed.
    I am extremely new to bamboo, just a few months, and what I THINK I see are seedheads on a small Arundinaria Fortunei in a 1 gallon pot. I got it last May and I had every intention of having it in the ground long ago. But you all know about the best laid plans of mice and men I'm sure.
    Anyway, today I finally got some more planting area ready to go for a variety of plants, when I noticed what I think are seedheads on this little plant.
    I have been on the ABS site and read the section on flowering there, which is quite informative. So at least I have some idea what to do.
    In your opinion has this one seeded?
    Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

• JG61.jpg
      JG61.jpg
      File size:
      117.6 KB
      Views:
  2. cocobolo

cocobolo Active Member

A bit more information:
    Firstly, I found out that it is not Arundinaria Fortunei, but Pleioblastus Fortunei.
    In Michael Bells' book, the Gardener's Guide to Growing Temperate Bamboos, he advises that this plant had a burst of flowering in the late 1970's and early 1980's. There was lots of seed to be had, but the plants therefrom were not variegated. Apparently, occasional reports surface of the plant flowering, usually when potted, rather than in the ground. I have two of them, both flowering. One has been in the ground for at least a couple of months, the other only put in today.
    I emailed Betty Shor of the American Bamboo Society, and she has had one other report from Seattle in June of this year of P. Fortunei flowering.
    One other point of interest is that during the last round of flowering nearly 30 years ago, most of the plants survived.
    Anyone else out there have one flowering right now?