Largest Redwood Lost Monarch can Touch it's Toes

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by M. D. Vaden, Oct 14, 2008.

1. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

To start, a small mystery is cleared-up about some coastal redwood photos at some internet sites. There has been an image on some websites as Lost Monarch. Turns out to be the redwood titan Screaming Titans.

A couple of weeks ago, we scoured the Grove of Titans redwood grove double-checking. Turns out that one Titan which I photographed last winter was the Lost Monarch - largest known by volume - but I did not measure it. What's remarkable about Lost Monarch, are it's lowest twigs and foliage reaching forest floor. That's very unusual for a tree of that immensity. The lowest twigs are about 14 inches above the ground. A few ounces of push contacts the lowest branch tip to the forest floor. I don't recall the last time I saw a redwood that large with foliage reaching shin level.

When I saw this tree last winter, it was a repeat visit and I was enjoying looking at the lichens on the trunks like the British soldiers. Below is Lost Monarch through a narrow view corridor looking across hundreds of feet of vine maples, salmon berry and other stuff.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

About 14 what?? Metres? Centimetres? Millimetres?

3. jaro_in_montreal

jaro_in_montreal Active Member

From the context, I would guess centimetres.

Could also be feet though...

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Oh ... thanks - I missed that. It's about 14" (inches).