What is the size of your annual vegetable garden in square feet?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

What is the size of your annual vegetable garden in square feet?

Mine is 1300 square feet. This is for annual vegetables.

2. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Currently 520 square feet, expanding next year by another 400 square feet. Managed quite intensively now, I am looking forward to the additional space so I can increase the length of my rotations.

3. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

It would be nice to have more room but, I make do with a smaller lot. I have a 20 ft by 8 veggie patch. Its bordered with Asparagus on one side, Pacific Phillies on another, 3 Rhubarb at the end and onions around the whole messw. That enough to put in 10 plum tomatos, 2 table tomatos 12 garlic, green onions,golden beets and lettuce. There is also a 32 by 4 good neighbour Rapberry/Logan berry area.
    Mostly its in 200 sq ft of flowers in front, 80 sq flowers by the back patio, a 50 sq to hold in the gunnera in the front yard as well as 1 peach and 1 plum to secure the hamock.
    It will provide about 200 cups of frozen tomatos, garlic for a year and the fresh stuff as it comes. The veggy patch and gunnera are also seeded a couple times a season with nasturtiums to attract all of those nice bees and flower boque of Zinnia and lilys all summer. For those that don't know about them Golden Beets are a real treat, they taste the same and don't bleed or stain.

4. JanR

JanR Active Member

I would guess about 1500 sq.ft. Plus I have two 4 x 4 raised beds. My regular vegetable garden is becoming two shady and I am going to gradually phase it out. With all the rain we had this year, it is just not doing well, so I am starting to add raised beds on the other side of the house. I plan to add more raised beds next year.

5. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

Currently mine is a combined 360, with 240 future areas planned in phases.

Jan, I need to see photos of your vast garden. We have seen much of Durgan's, but you have been too quiet.

6. JanR

JanR Active Member

My garden is a rather sad mess at the moment and really not worthy of taking pictures. Hopefully next year. I am in the process of transferring my garden into raised beds, which are on the opposite side of the house to the existing garden. I made two 4 x 4 foot gardens this year and I am planning to add three 4 x 12 foot gardens this fall. Hopefully I will get them all ready to plant for next year.

7. slohrer

slohrer Member

I have about 1600 square feet for my veggies. It feeds a family of six, with some to spare for neighbors.