Suggestions for narrow trees

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by lauraf, Sep 19, 2008.

1. lauraf

lauraf Member

Hello,

we are giving our backyard a complete overall, and are looking for a narrow tree (possibly a couple of trees) to plant close to the fence in an area that is about 11 feet wide. I am attaching a plan of the garden-to-be: the trees in questions are the yellowish trees on the right side between the deck and the vegetable garden, on the East side of the property. The location is mostly sunny, and we live in Victoria BC.

We would like something that will grow about 20-30 feet high, no more than 10 feet wide, with a canopy that is not too dense (i.e. no cedars!), interesting bark or leaves, and roots that are not too invasive (the ponds' edge is about 12'6" from the trees). We were originally thinking of himalayan birches, but I think they grow too big. We also like Ginko trees, but again I don't know if there is a variety that doesn't grow too tall. There is (or will be!) bamboo planted along the outer perimeter of the vegetable garden, so something contrasting with the bamboo would be nice.

Thank you very much in advance for all suggestions.
    Cheers,
    Laura

Attached Files:

• g1.jpg
      g1.jpg
      File size:
      171.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Hamamelis x intermedia 'Arnold Promise'.

3. lauraf

lauraf Member

Hi Ron,

thank you - I was hoping for something with a more upright habit (what I read about Witch Hazel is that it's as broad as it is high) and somewhat higher branching (let's say with the branches starting at 6 feet or so, so it doesn't take visually much space at ground level).

Perhaps a flowering cherry or pear?

Cheers,
    Laura

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Does Mediterranean Cypress count as "too dense"?

5. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

How about a Japanese Stewartia, or a Paperbark Maple?

6. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Even Japanese maple outgrows 11' wide.

Is columnar okay?

Or bamboo with a root barrier?

How about after the tree grows up overhead - can it spread wider? Or is 11' about as wide as you want it to become at the top?

~

7. lauraf

lauraf Member

Hi everyone,

thanks again for all the suggestions. Yes, the cypress would be too dense. I like the idea of the Japanese Stewartia. We have a paperback maple at the opposite end of the garden -- it's a lovely tree, and it might not be too bad of an idea to have a second one.

We love bamboo but there will soon be a Phyllostachys edge (yes, with a barrier!) about 3' wide and 50' long ending exactly at the North side of the 11' open area where the trees in questions should go (that's why we would like something with an open canopy, to contrast with the bamboo, which will in time form a fairly dense edge, or so we hope!)

The tree can certainly grow up and spread wider overhead, as long as at a height of, say, 15' it is no more than 8-10 feet wide, and the total height is no more than ~30 feet.

Cheers,
    Laura

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008