venus flytrap

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by earthy flower girl, Sep 5, 2008.

1. earthy flower girl

earthy flower girl Member

hi i'm new here and need help. My dad is going to get me a venus flytrap soon as soon as we get my room finished. I can't have it outside because i read that it can't be too hot or too cold. our summers get as high as 120 degrees F and in the winter last year we had a major ice storm and killed almost everything that we exposed it was -40 degrees last year two days into the major ice storm. we've had ice storms for the last 6 years maybe so its hard to predict when they skip a year or if it will be back. Anyway back to the question i need everything there is to know about taking care of a venus flytrap its going to be already sprouted. What do i feed it? What is dormation? Stuff like that. Thanks.

Lynx

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Lynx VFT's are found in nature mainly in bog's with low nutrients. Hence they have evolved to supplement that by catching insects. If you have one that is in good soil I wouldn't "feed" the traps at all. I don't think the heat will effect it too much just the cold. Someone else may have an opinion on this also

Ed

3. Analogdog

Analogdog Active Member 10 Years

VFTs want to be in a bog environment. A good way to establish that is to keep one in the pot it came in, and put the pot in a basin of water maintained to keep water 1-2 inches below the soil line in the pot. Do not water the soil, water the basin.

If there is one thing VFTs dislike it is having the green plant touching soil, all leaves traps and such should be above the soil, not resting on it.

It is nice to keep VFTs outside in full sunlight when the air is above 45F. They can tolerate 90F just fine, but if it were over 110F I might put them in the shade of a tree. The most important thing is to keep their water level up. The soil should not be dry ever.

This webpage provides good information: http://www.thegardenhelper.com/flytrap.html .