Podocarpus macrophyllus

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers) Photo Gallery' started by ToddTheLorax, Jul 9, 2008.

1. ToddTheLorax

ToddTheLorax Active Member

Big leaf podocarpus. The first plant pictured is at the San Antonio Botanical Garden. Second one is a seedling volunteer in my garden, and a cone on the parent plant.

It is commonly cultivated here in south central Texas. tolerates shearing. It cones prolifically and at a young age, seedlings pop up in my garden with regularity. And birds snatch the berry like cones as soon as they turn bright red. This plant grows fast. Mine grew more than 2 feet last year, almost one meter, in part shade.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A meter is more than 3 feet. Ours here look different, maybe they're all P. macrophyllus maki.

3. ToddTheLorax

RE A meter is more than 3 feet.

Thanks... I understand that, was just trying to say between two and three feet in a way that people on the metric system would understand.

RE Ours here look different, maybe they're all P. macrophyllus maki. Mine was just labeled 'podocarpus' in white chalk on pot.

most if not all of them I see at nurseries here are var. maki. I dont recall if the one at the garden was or not. How are the ones in seattle different?

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

P. alpinus, P. nivalis and P. totarus cultivars are grown here, so would expect they may be grown in the Seattle area also.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Less erect and vigorous with broader, darker leaves.

6. jaro_in_montreal

jaro_in_montreal Active Member

The ones I see in San Diego have a growing habit more like fastigiate yew cultivars.
    Is that because of youth or shearing or what ? (no sign of shearing evident though....)
    Thnx

Attached Files:

7. ToddTheLorax

Probably sheared.