Will we have to rethink zones eventually?

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Margaret, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes. The big problem of course is that, with human-caused habitat destruction, it is rare for plants to have the opportunity to migrate any more, seed dispersal mechanisms are often not adequate to jump the large gaps between small pockets of remaining habitat.

3. Annell

Annell Active Member

On the same subject, but different question, will we have to rethink the seasons too? Have the seasons shifted, are the shifting now?

Over the past few years I've noticed - in Vancouver only - that it seems it stays colder further in to the spring/summer but also stays warmer longer in the fall. I don't have any science to back this thought up, but it seems this way, too me.

Something else that makes me think this is the fact that though we call June 1 the First day of summer, it is historically known as Mid-summer's eve. I've always wondered if a very long time ago spring and summer occured earlier in the calender? again, no 'fact' to back this up, just me wondering.

I think that at some point we will have to rethink zones. Weather patterns have changed and the jet stream has moved which greatly affect the temperature. If it weren't so scary I'd think it was a very interesting thing to watch change.

A.