Please help me save my Caladium!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Bambi, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Bambi

Bambi Active Member

I bought this Caladium about a month ago and I don't want to lose it! It was quite big and beautiful when I bought it but since it's been outside it hasn't been doing very well at all.

My plan was to keep it in the plastic pot, and then put the pot in a bigger planter as the centre piece with soil surrounding it and other plants. After summer, I would bring it in for the winter in the small pot.

I had it outside by itself at first and the bigger leaves died back, but it seemed to be okay. After putting it in the bigger pot, it dropped all of it's leaves, old and new. I've taken it inside now, and there is only one semi-healthy looking leaf.

Another family member has been watering the garden so I'm not sure how much water it's been given, but it has rained quite a bit lately so that's most likely the problem.

I know Caladiums have tubers, so will it come back? I'm going to let it dry out some before I water it again.

Would it be a bad idea to try and put it in the planter again after the rain is less frequent with less watering? Or should I just keep it in the house from now on?

Thanks in advance.

-Bambi

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think it has been too cold to put a caladium outside here. They like very warm temps.

3. Bambi

Bambi Active Member

Eric,

Of course! Before I posted this I looked at the tag and I guess the temperatures didn't really pop out at me. It says between 18°C and 25°C...it has been below 10°C in the past week a few times.

It will grow back in the house though, won't it? I hope so..

-Bambi

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

If they were not too damaged they should grow OK in the house and probably should should stay there. Not likely temps will stay above 18° long enough around here to allow them to thrive.

I grew these in Atlanta, when I lived there. They did not come up until it had really warmed up.

5. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

And Bambi, you might want to check the soil mix. This is an aroid and needs its soil to be free draining, so maybe add some Perlite or something similiar...

Ed