JM garden placement advice

Discussion in 'Maples' started by tran383, Jun 17, 2008.

1. tran383

tran383 Member

I came across a picture that I want to replicate in my backyard but I only have a few select JM's to work with. I want good color mixture. Here is what I am after: http://pluto.nexusbroadband.co.uk/~admin42/The Shows_files/IMG_0007.png

Here are the facts:
    - I live in Southern California
    - I have 5' x 16' wide area to work with. I will lose a 4' x 4' area on the right side due to a 3 tier fountain.
    - (1) Crimson Queen - 48" tall x 38" wide
    - (1) Inabe Shidare - 48" tall x 32" wide
    - (1) Waterfall - 24" tall x 18" wide
    - (1) Garnet - 55" tall x 48" wide
    - (1) Shirazz - 86" tall x 60" wide

Here are my questions:
    1. What would be the best placement for these trees. Dissectums in the front? The setup is against my neighbors garage wall so I will have a back drop against the trees.
    2. I have a Beni-Kawa and Bloodgood I've grown in the grown for 3 years and they are very large. Is it difficult to move these to the new setup? Beni-Kawa and Bloodgood are 94"x68", with about a 3" root.
    3. I plan to cover the top layer with river rocks and large moss patches instead of mulch, will that be a problem?
    4. Is now a good time to transplant the trees?

Any other thoughts/advices/ideas would be greatly appreciated. I also want to leave space in between for some jm bonsai plants and a bench of course. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2008
  2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Yes

No if you do it when the trees are dormant

No

No

- You should realize that trees do grow and a nice setting at T0 will not be the same at T+n years.
    - In your selection you are missing one Spring yellow cultivar and one Spring bright red cultivar (corallinum group) in order to replicate the scene you quoted.

Gomero

3. Worthy42

Worthy42 Active Member

I wholeheartedly agree with Gomero regarding spacing and growth over time in what sounds like a lot of trees in a very tight space. Beautiful photo and idea.

4. paxi

paxi Active Member

I came across the photo as well and think it is an amazing collection. Here is the website from which it is taken (see "the shows" link):

http://www.larchfieldtrees.com/

they have a nice photo gallery on root pruning as well. As others have mentioned keep in mind these appear have been placed together for a show and would need more room to breath if trying to replicate.

5. tran383

tran383 Member

All great points. Thank you.

Paxi, that's the website I got the image from. It's got some great pictures and info as well. Thanks.