Disease attacking all plants. Help!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Repressd, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Repressd

Repressd Member

I have a strange spreading disease that seems to pop up each spring. It started 2 years ago with a schefflera I bought at a grocery store and last year it killed a banana plant. Now it looks like it's spread to a dracaena and a epicactus.

It starts with the leaves developing weak, dried-looking brown spots in the middle of leaves, and black spots in the leaf stems. The spots eventually get larger, making a huge, dried-out looking section on the leaf. Then the leaf usually turns yellow and falls off.

Cutting off affected leaves usually doesn't do any good because the disease just attacks another part of the plant.

Does anyone know what this is? All of these plants were potted at different times and are different ages, and I take care not to over water. I can't see any kind of mites or scale anything else on the leaves or the soil.

Here are some photos:

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

the epicactus looks like it's water drops that have burned the leaf because of sunlight being magnified through the water drops.

or you could have some kind of 'miner' bug...i'm not familiar with any of those that attack that kind of plant. doesn't mean there isn't something.

what type of water schedule do you follow? maybe the plants aren't getting enough water? maybe it's some type of fungus?

sorry i'm not more help...

please list all the plants that have been affected.

3. Repressd

Repressd Member

Schefflera, banana plant, polka dot plant, dracaena, epicactus.

I usually water once a week for most plants and only every other week for the epicactus in the winter.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's a myth. Water drops are nowhere near large enough to focus enough heat to cause any damage.

5. Repressd

Repressd Member

I know it's not water drops because it seems to be coming from within the plant.

6. moonlitgarden

moonlitgarden Member

Hi, I am not sure but what I would do is move all the affected plants outside in the shade and first hose them off good, then I would treat them with something simple like Schultz Fungicide3® - this treats a wide range of pests and or fungus problems and is readily available. Sorry I am not sure of what it is exactly but maybe this will help.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The use of broad-range treatments to attack a specific problem is not considered particularly good practice these days. Far better to identify the issue and then tackle it specifically - unfortunately, I don't know what might be causing the problem.

8. moonlitgarden

moonlitgarden Member

Sorry about that...