How to plant a potted tree to backyard?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by avocado, Jun 3, 2008.

1. avocado

avocado Member

I recently planted a 10 gallon potted Orange tree into my backyard. I mixed in some bagged dirt (or garden soil) sold at Lowe's with the dug up dirt. Instruction says to water often until established then water when few inches of top layer of dirt is dry.

How much and how often do you water the plant when it's newly planted? And should I be feeding some fertilizer when newly planted? How long would it take to get it 'established'?

2. Flaxe

Flaxe Active Member

It's strongly recommended that bone meal be mixed into the soil at the roots to help establish the roots much faster in their new environment. Seeing as it's already in the ground, I don't know if this is an option for you or something you would like to carry out. Don't fertilize right now. Let the tree recover for a good 3 weeks to 1 month. If it begins to put out new shoots and responds well to the new environment, then proceed with feedings.

Water the plant as is appropriate.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

During the first few years, apply fertilizer to young trees to stimulate vigorous growth of leaves and the branches that will become the tree's main framework. Beginning about 2 weeks after planting, frequent light applications of fertilizer should be made approximately every 6 weeks. To avoid burning the roots do not use a fertilizer that contains more than 8 percent nitrogen. 6-6-6 or 8-8-8 are recommended fertilizer formulations for new citrus trees. Apply about 1/2-lb. per tree, evenly spreading the fertilizer uniformly in a 3 ft. diameter circle around the tree, but not up against the tree trunk. Young trees require considerable water for survival and growth. For young trees, the goal is to irrigate twice or three times per week, depending on weather conditions, for short durations, to maintain adequate moisture in the upper soil layer where most of the roots are. Allow the soil to partially dry in between irrigations. About bone meal, bone meal is a mixture of crushed and coarsely ground bones that is used as an organic fertilizer for plants. As a slow-release fertilizer, bone meal is primarily used as a source of phosphorus. However, although phosphorus is required by all living plants, citrus requires phosphorus very sparingly, and is not added at planting. When properly planting a citrus tree the ONLY ITEM added to the planting hole is to return the very same dirt that was dug to make the hole. It is never advised to add ANYTHING, not even organic additives such as peat moss or any type of soil conditioners. Finally, a large hole should not be dug, the planting hole should be just large enough to comfortably accept the root ball. Good luck. - Millet