Twisted leaves

Discussion in 'Maples' started by turfpro, Apr 10, 2008.

1. turfpro

turfpro Member

I have been collecting seedlings from a house i maintain. One tree has twisted leaves on the new growth. I havent seen any other trees that do this? Is this something special are no. Picks arent great but u get idea. the twists are pretty uniform. In the pick i just transplanted to a pot and watered.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Japanese maple seedling variant. Since you seem to be interested in this kind of thing you will want to keep it going, regardless of how it may compare with existing named forms (there are hundreds).

3. turfpro

turfpro Member

Well I guess no one is interested in twisted leaves. Does anyone know if there is a tree similar?

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

turfpro,

I'm actually interested but I have to say it's difficult (for me) to see much
    from the photos. Maybe some better definition or leaf closeups would
    help. I can't think of a cultivar with twisted leaves offhand but I'm no
    expert on JMs. You might pop down to the library and go through Vertrees'
    "Japanese Maples" (Timber press 3rd ed) to see whether your seedling
    is unique enough to try and make a cultivar. In any case you'll need to
    keep it going for many years in order to evaluate.

-E

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

for me is one "nigth insect" like Oziorinco that eat the leaves in the nigth, when you sleep,in chimical store there is the solutions for you.

6. turfpro

turfpro Member

Thats about the best pic i can get. I looked in Vertress book and the Japanese Maples CD and didnt see anything like it. Ill keep a eye on it and hopefully it can get a little more stable. Some of the lower leaves are all different shapes. Some are alot wider, less divided, and with more cut edges. The twisted leaves get thinner longer and less cut edges. Its the 2 seprate main braches doing it.

Attached Files:

7. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

It will be interesting to see if the plant retains those characteristics over the next 5 years or so
    It looks quite unique at the moment

8. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Indeed it does, I can't recall seeing anything like that. Funky.

If it retains you may well have something very cool!

-E

9. Layne Uyeno

Layne Uyeno Active Member 10 Years

Hi,

That is very interesting indeed. What does the rest of the plant look like? If the leaves on 2nd year and on wood retain this feature that would be really cool. Like whis4ey said it will take several years to evaluate. This feature could be the result of unusual conditions and culture. It could revert in a few years or not. Keep it healthy and do some clone propagation (grafting, cutting or air layering) to see if the feature retains. Filigree was a found seedling at a nursery. Too many named cultivars are too similar in my opinion, but this is very unique. Hopefully the plant won't revert or the mature leaves hold this feature.

Regards,

Layne

10. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Turf,

I've not seen anything like that. How long have you been growing this plant?

Do you know who's offspring it might be?

Thanks for pics, interesting.

11. turfpro

turfpro Member

Its from a account i maintain, and the tree came up last year next to a bush and was just lucky enough that I didnt spray it with round up are pull it out. I noticed it this week when i was digging up a few babys from this year. I really never payed attention to any of them til this year, The seedling from this tree are showing alot of diiferent leaf shapes and colors of red and pink. I can take a pick of the parent trees, but they are older non gratfed trees about 15' tall. One has dissectum leaves but is up right and red most the year i think, This is the tree the seedling came from. The tree next to it is a palmate leaf that starts out red and then gets weird peach and green colors coming in, This maybe the father? unless they can self polinate? Theres no other maples for atleast 1/2 mile.

12. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Interesting Turf.

It's really distinctive. It's surprising that this trait doesn't seem to have been seen before.

Good Luck

13. cilohreca

cilohreca Member

I have an Abigail Rose that has the same undulating twisting leaves as in your picture.
    It has a very interesting appearance to it.

14. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I came across a seedling at one of the winter garden shows that had similar characteristics about 15 years ago. I purchased the plant and took it down to Dick Wolff’s nursery to get his opinion. As soon as he saw the plant he indicated that this was most likely caused by roundup. He indicated that the buds may have been exposed to roundup before they opened and this is what caused the twisting. I left the plant with Mr. Wolff for observation and the next year when I returned the leaves were normal palmate. I hope yours retains the curled leaves. It is something not seen in palmatums.

Ed

15. cilohreca

cilohreca Member

That's an interesting point Ed. I never use any chemicals in my garden so mine has to be caused by another reason.

16. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Pre-emergent herbicides will also cause unusual changes. I am currently watching a couple of maples that show interesting mutations from the use of these chemicals. Stability over a long period is the key.

17. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

At least one of the dissectum varieties has twisted leaves. I can't remember the name offhand, but recall seeing the description in Vetrees book on JMs.